Sunday, July 11, 2004

Spears me 'Every Time'

Britney Spears- what is it that keeps my ears pricked for one of her songs every time I turn on the radio?

Personally, I think her status as an artist/performer is only so much wishful thinking. Though many who have seen her not so recent tour would heartily disagree with me! Of course, people do tend to get enthusiastic for all that show of skin and exposed bedroom acts. However, my statement still stands. Additionally, she mimed at those concerts and that certainly put her performance (and stamina) level down many notches in my opinion.

Her vocals are nothing to wow about. She doesn’t effortlessly sing up and down the scale like her contemporary, Christina Aguilera. And what a mismatch she makes, teamed up with Beyonce and Pink in that Pepsi commercial! While the two singers’ styles and attitudes really shone through, Britney came across as wooden and projected the image of being the weakest among that group of Amazons.

But after all is said and done, I still stay in front of the tube when one of her music videos shows up. Why is that? Because whatever her failings are, that woman can sure pick a song! They could be catchy, they could be plaintive, but they strike a cord in me every time. The lyrics are simple and at times may sound as if they were simply shoved and squeezed in to fit the melody but the meaning of those words are profound.

My latest Britney craze is the song Every Time'. Do find time to listen to it. If you do have an ear for music, no matter what type of music you prefer or how much of teeny bopper music you hate, I guarantee that you will find this song beautiful. Try it!

Every time I try to fly I fall
Without my wings I feel so small
I guess I need you, baby


Every time I see you in my dreams
I see your face
It’s haunting me
I guess I need you, baby

No comments: