Wednesday, October 13, 2004

When the new moon rises...

Ah… Ramadhan is here once more. I truly look forward to it. There is a certain mysticism, a peacefulness that exists only during that time of the year.

However, I also dread it. Why? Because Ramadhan also signals the coming of Syawal. I have never understood (nor will ever understand probably) how such a calm and peaceful month can end in such hectic activity. And it is all due to the coming of the first of Syawal.

I don’t know… All the preparation drives me crazy!!! Call me a nut if you will but I truly long for a peaceful ‘Aidilfitri, just me and my immediate family. Or maybe it’s just me (as some would undoubtedly whisper behind my back),

Biasak laa… Mamat yang kera sumbang tahap cipan memang gitu!”

My aversion to the Raya season even extends to my choice of food. If there is a choice, my relatives would never catch me eating ketupat or lemang with rendang or some such condiments at their table when my family goes visiting. I’d offer a thankful prayer to Allah if ever a relative brings out rice and normal everyday type lauk to welcome us during Raya season.

Raya biscuits, however, I’d have to have a taste, since they’re becoming even weirder and more assorted by the year, just to find out what the fuss is all about.

Hah! Ramadhan’s hardly here and I’m talking about Raya! Ahaks! It makes me think of the incident where certain shopping complexes were all decked out for Christmas even though Raya is still a couple of weeks away and Christmas is still far from sight.

But I guess it’s because this blog is where I air out my grievances. Since Ramadhan makes me calm and happy and does not give me any grief, there is no need for me to rant and rail against it.

Have a successful Ramadhan dear Muslim brothers!

1 comment:

Irzan said...

Ah.. the memories of Ramadhan. Actually I can't tell much of my experience of Ramadhan in Malaysia, since I don't really possess long term memories of what happened, except for really important stuffs.

Ramadhan in Ukraine? Last year? It's quite nice. Well what do you expect; breaking fast in 5pm; it's quite early. And to berbuka in masjid where they serve free food (thanks to those wealthy arabians), life is so good.

The Ramadhan whisked so swift I really really forgot about any special moments.

Raya sucks big time. I have test that very own day. And to cook for all the seniors I felt like a slave. And I didn't really enjoy it that much due to this huge pimple on my cheeks; the picture didn't show me glittering either...

I'll post some of Ramadhan's blogging in my webby.. Thanks Rie for those aspiring words.. reminded me of how warak I should be when Ramadhan arrives...